6 Metre sailing at Clapham on the 16th August.

August 17, 2009 at 11:19 am | Posted in News | Leave a comment

A great day,s sailing on a bright and breezy day with enough wind to make the 6,s go well but not enough to overpower them. There was a good fleet with five boats on the water and after a late start we had some good racing.
John T was sailing Derek,s second boat and was under a bit of a handicap as he was unused to sailing 6,s. John S was having an early outing with his 6m and was doing well. Derek shared his boat with a guest, Grant, who put in a good performance. We managed to get five races in before lunch and another three after. Jim won the first race and it looked like it might be another Jim benefit, but races got closer as the day went on and the results were, in 1,2,3 order as follows.
Jim, Derek, Alan
Alan, Jim, John T
Grant, Jim, John T
Grant, Jim, John S
Jim, Derek, John S
Derek, Alan, John S
Grant, John T, Alan
Derek, John T, Alan
To give an update on the condition of the pond. The water level is still very low but does not seem to have dropped any lower than the large cracks that have appeared in the retaining wall at the Rookery Road end of the pond. Alan has spoken to the superintendent at the Staff Yard on the Common to ask if we could fill the cracks ourselves, but was told we should leave it to the Council staff to do. The Chairman has tried to contact the person responsible at the Council offices to ask if he will issue a “Works Order” to the Common staff to carry out the work. but without success. We now know that that person is on holiday for three weeks so, regretably, we shall have to wait a little longer for any action to be taken. The Chairman has now written to the person at the Council office and hopefuly he will read the letter on his return from holiday and instigate the action required.
The pond level is unlikely to improve untill the remedial work is done and I feel that on the next sailing day, the 6th September which should be for 1m,s, we should recognise the fact that sailing that class will be difficult and should decide now that we sail the Soling,s instead. An alterative might be to sail the 6m,s again, bearing in mind the imminent memorial race on the 20th September and the need to get some practice in. I feel we shall have to take the practical view.
Thats all for now, hope to see you all on the 6th September. Derek.

Sailing at Clapham on the 2nd August.

August 3, 2009 at 11:33 am | Posted in News | 2 Comments

A fine day at Clapham with a gusty wind, the only problem being that the water level was low, a good three inches below what is required to make sailing comfortable, however, in keeping with our new resolve we decided to try the 1M,s. Derek was first on the water but found that sailing our usual course was not possible, the boat grounding on the bottom in many places. It was only the fact that there was plenty of wind that the boat was driven afloat again. It was given up as impractical to race our usual course as the element of running aground made a true race result impossible. One or two other skippers also tried, but with the same result.
Still trying to perservere with the 1M,s we tried sailing on the opposite side of the pond but with no great improvement. The only course that proved possible was straight up and down the middle of the pond and John T bravely donned waders and reset the buoys, at which point Derek retired to the Clubhouse after radio failure in his Nimbus. Soon after we all retired to the Clubhouse for a lunch break and decided that 1M sailing be abandoned for the day.
After lunch a few skippers got out the Soling,s, the low pond water level being the reason they were adopted in the first place. No organised races were sailed but we all had fun and the Soling,s coped well with the wind.
With hindsight it would have been better to have recognised the water problem earlier and devoted the day to racing the Soling class, of which there is now a considerable fleet in the Club, but at least we did try to keep to the scheduled programe.
All in all a disapointing day I think as no actual racing took place. We can only hope for better water conditions on the 16th of August, although on that day we should be sailing the 6M class which will cope with the conditions better. Derek.

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.
Entries and comments feeds.